S.W.A.T. Trot 5k - How did it go?

The S.W.A.T. Trot 5k has just added another "fond" to my memories of running.  You are aware, unless this is your first time here, that all my memories of the S.W.A.T. Trot have not been fond.  Last years race was a fond memory as it was my daughter Payton's first 5k, but the year before was not quite as fond.  I won't bore you with all the details here as I feel like I have said more than enough about it over the last couple years.

If you read my kinda blah post on Saturday before the 8:00 pm start time of this race you will know that I didn't have big plans for this race.  I had pretty much decided that I would just run it for fun and not try to set any PR or even come close.  I had told my neighbors that I would probably run with them.... if they weren't going to fast.  My left thigh was not hurting, but was not 100% either and I didn't want to end up pulling it.

While we were waiting for the race to start I saw George Southgate.  Last year, George helped cheer Payton along to the finish when she was starting to not listen to me any more.  I have seen George at different races here and there but had never talked to him before.  He would have to tell you for certain, but I think he said he has run over 80 marathons, 30 in the past 30 months!

The time came to line up and I jogged over to the start.  I ran into Michael Taylor who ran this race last year as well.  I didn't meet Michael till after the race.  We met online while we were both searching for the results to be posted and getting upset because they were taking so long.  We chatted for a couple minutes and then it was time to go.

I started off very relaxed to test the thigh out.  I also wanted to get past the dreaded "scene of the crime" without experiencing the same joys once again.  As we came past the first 100 yards there was my family and all the others out cheering us on.  My leg was feeling good so I turned up the pace just a little bit and came up on one of my neighbors.  I kept up the pace and soon caught his wife.  At that point my leg was feeling solid so I went ahead and turned it up a notch.

The first mile came and I was running right at a 7:30 pace.  I was still feeling good and continued on what felt like the same pace.  As I was nearing the 2 mile mark my watch beeped just a little bit before the marker and read around 7:20.  If adjusted to where the actual mile marker was I was still running a very solid 7:30 pace.  Immediately following the 2 mile mark I was starting to feel it in my breathing so I decided to slow the pace a little.  It must not have lasted too long because when I passed the 3 mile mark I was still dead on a 7:30 pace.  The final .1 was tough but when the end is in site it is not too hard to finish strong.

The finish line came faster than I have ever seen a finish line come before.  When I crossed the line the time was 23:14, a PR by 9 seconds, and to make it even more special, my last PR was set over 2 years ago, before the broken collar bone incident.  It shows that the fitness is finally starting to come back..... if I could only drop those few extra pesky pounds I put on since then!

As if the PR was not award enough, I came out with something else very unexpected, a First Place in my new age group 40-44.  This was the very first time I have ever finished first in my age group and I have a very nice plaque to show for it :)

I am really enjoying my new Pearl Izumi SyncroFuel XC's.  This was the first race I ran in these shoes and they are much lighter and more comfortable to run in.  I will write more about them in the days to come.

All in all a great race, and a very fun and rewarding time.  My leg is still not 100% but it made it through the race without any hitch.  And to think what I could have done if the weather wasn't so hot and humid and if I hadn't just mowed the lawn a couple hours earlier :)

The official results are not yet posted, but I know I finished 16th overall and first in my age group.  I will post more results once they are posted.  My full splits and stats can be found here.

If you haven't yet entered to win the free shoes, tech shirt, or goodie bag you have just 2 days left.  Make sure you head over and sign up, the odds are really good of winning something!

**edit 06/15 - Don McClellan uploaded his photoshow so I had an image to add to the post.  He took a pic of me while on the course but it must not have turned out.

Tim Wilson - blog.262quest.com - subscribe - follow blog - twitter - fanpage - call